Rhubarb jam: useful properties and contraindications
Jam is made from many fruits and berries. One of the popular products for making a delicious dessert is rhubarb. It is a plant, the stems of which contain many useful trace elements. It is these that are used for the preparation of jam.
- Composition and calories
- What is useful for rhubarb jam
- General benefits
- For women
- For Men
- For Pregnancy
- When breastfeeding
- For kids
- When losing weight
- Harm and contraindications
- When to harvest rhubarb for jam
- How to cook jam from rhubarb: Recipes
- With lemon
- With banana
- In the Multicooker
- How to Sterilize Jars
- Interesting Facts about Rhubarb
Composition and calories
Rhubarb refers to early leafy vegetables. Slices of stems make a delicious and healthy jam. But remember that only the stems are used, as it is they contain many useful trace elements, as well as vitamins.
The composition includes such substances:
- Iron. It is necessary for the body to produce blood cells. Iron deficiency causes anemia. Such a condition is dangerous for the health of the patient, especially for women during pregnancy.
- Fiber. Promotes the normal process of digestion, improving intestinal function. Rhubarb is used by folk healers in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Magnesium. It is the main element that is involved in the growth of muscle tissue. When there is a shortage of the mineral, cramps occur in the muscles of the lower extremities.
- Phosphorus. Also refers to the basic elements, without which no biochemical reaction in the body takes place. Phosphorus in large quantities contained not only in fish products, but also in rhubarb.
- Potassium. Participates in many processes. First of all, it is required for metabolic processes that occur in cells. Also a trace element is needed to strengthen the cell membrane. With a lack of potassium and marked sharp changes in osmotic pressure.
- Calcium. Is the basic element of bone tissue. When it is not enough, a person often develops fractures even after minor bruises. Microelement required in large quantities and during pregnancy, as is involved in the construction of the musculoskeletal system of the fetus.
- B vitamins. A rather broad group that includes several vitamins at once. All of them take part in a wide variety of biological processes that occur in the human body. Vitamin B2 is very important for vision. If it is lacking, it can significantly worsen. Beneficial for the nervous system bring vitamins B3, B1, B5. If their number is insufficient, a person suffers worse stress, depression can develop.
- Vitamin C. It is ascorbic acid, which is necessary for the body's defenses to ensure the prevention of the development of viruses and colds.
- Vitamin E. It is a natural antioxidant. It contributes to the destruction of pathogenic microorganisms, which cause the development of serious diseases.
- Vitamin K. Its content in rhubarb jam is insufficient, but the trace element is necessary for controlling the level of blood clotting. Without it, the body does not assimilate calcium well enough.
- Malic acid. Necessary to maintain blood circulation, relieve swelling of soft tissues, activation of metabolism. It also has a mild laxative effect.
Also includes pectins and organic acids, which are involved in certain body processes.
The caloric value of the product is 314 kcal per 100 grams. Jam belongs to the high-calorie products.
Thus, rhubarb is quite a valuable product, which, when used correctly, will only bring benefits to the body due to its composition.
What is useful for rhubarb jam
The benefits of such a dessert as rhubarb jam, due to its chemical composition. It has a positive effect on many systems and organs. Beneficial properties include:
- Maintaining the body's defenses. This property is due to the presence of vitamin C in sufficient quantities. With the constant use of rhubarb jam, the body will be protected from colds, as well as the development of infectious lesions.
- Maintenance of the gastrointestinal tract. Sufficient fiber content contributes to the normalization of the digestive process. Delicious dessert can also be used for constipation, as it has a mild laxative effect.
- Activation of regeneration processes. Thanks to the microelements included in the composition, jam has the property of accelerating the healing process of small wounds and cuts. Also rhubarb affects the composition of the blood, improving it.
- Strengthening the bones. The dessert contains enough calcium. It is involved in the construction of bone tissue and is necessary in huge quantities for women during pregnancy.
- Normalization of metabolic processes. Thanks to the components included in the composition, the jam normalizes metabolic processes, which reduces the risk of certain diseases.
- Breakdown of subcutaneous fatty tissue. Despite the large number of calories, the product can be used by women who maintain their weight. A moderate amount of delicious dessert will not harm the figure.
- Diuretic effect. Because of this, rhubarb jam is used in folk medicine as a remedy for getting rid of edema.
- The antipyretic effect. The high content of vitamin C and other useful trace elements allows the use of rhubarb jam as a remedy for colds. It will not only help to normalize the temperature, but also to increase sweating.
- Elimination of coughs. The composition of jam contains antioxidants. These substances contribute to the destruction of pathogens that are the cause of the cough.
Rhubarb jam is used by folk healers for the preparation of special remedies and treatment of a number of diseases. Due to its properties, the product has a positive complex effect on the entire body as a whole.
Jam, cooked from rhubarb, is useful for women. The benefit lies in its composition, thanks to which the product has a positive effect on the condition of hair, nails and skin.
Also a tasty dessert contains folic acid. It is necessary for the female body to maintain the normal functioning of the reproductive system. The substance is also necessary for the formation of the fetus in the early stages of pregnancy.
Rhubarb, even after exposure to high temperatures, will bring invaluable benefits for the male body. The jam helps to maintain male strength, adds energy to the body. Micronutrients included in the composition help strengthen bone and muscle tissue, which is very important with regular physical exertion.
Experts do not recommend eating rhubarb jam during pregnancy. This is due to the fact that the product can cause allergic reactions and many other side effects. Among them are noted exacerbation of urolithiasis, the appearance of heartburn.
Also during pregnancy, the use of jam becomes the cause of allergic rashes, which can harm the fetus.
Doctors also do not recommend eating this jam when breastfeeding. The fact is that rhubarb refers to allergic products. The baby may have a negative reaction in the form of diarrhea, diarrhea, and other digestive problems.
The use of rhubarb jam contributes to the deterioration of breast milk production and significantly reduces the percentage of its fat content. As a result, the baby is not nourished.
Introduce rhubarb jam into the child's diet only from the age of 2 years. This is due to the fact that the product can cause allergies. It appears in the form of rash and itching, as well as redness of the skin and hives.
With moderate consumption, the delicious dessert helps to strengthen the immune system and bones, the growth of muscle tissue, increase mental activity.
When losing weight
Dietitians do not advise introducing rhubarb jam into the diet when following a diet to lose weight or maintain optimal weight. The fact is that the product contains many calories, which do not contribute to weight loss.
But rhubarb contains substances that help to break down fats and do not allow them to be deposited under the skin. Thus, you can use jam only in the form of morsels and in small quantities.
Harm and contraindications
The product of rhubarb can not always be beneficial. In some cases, he is able to cause harm:
- The delicious dessert contributes to an increase in blood sugar. It should not be consumed in the presence of diabetes.
- The product has a negative effect on body weight. The high content of calories negatively affects the figure.
- When abusing rhubarb jam, there may be a violation of the digestive process. In this case, diarrhea occurs, which is replaced by prolonged constipation. That is why you should not eat the delicacy in large quantities.
- Jam promotes the deposition of radicals, which provokes the formation of solid formations in the kidneys. As a result, urolithiasis develops. Such harm is caused by the fact that rhubarb contains a large amount of oxalic acid.
- The product causes allergies if you are hypersensitive to the constituent components. It is characterized by the appearance of small red rashes, itching, redness of the skin and other signs.
Specialists say that jam can be harmful only if consumed in large quantities, exceeding the dosage. Negative reactions can be avoided if you eat it in small quantities.
The delicious dessert should not be consumed in the presence of the following contraindications:
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, especially in the acute period.
- The presence of excess weight or any degree of obesity.
- Diabetes or a tendency to its appearance.
- Diseases of the joints. These include rheumatism, arthritis, osteoporosis and others.
- Peptic ulcer and hyperacidity.
Contraindications include the presence of allergies to rhubarb. The jam should not be eaten daily. The dosage that will not provoke negative reactions is no more than 30 g.
When can rhubarb be harvested for jam
Rhubarb refers to the products that can be harvested in early spring. Experts say that it is best to cut it before mid-June. This is due to the fact that exposure to high temperatures provokes the coarsening of the stems and the destruction of useful substances. As a result, the product will not be suitable for making jam.
Also in older shoots there is oxalic acid in larger quantities. It has a negative effect on the whole body, provoking violations of certain processes.
After cutting the stems, you should immediately remove the leaves from them, because they also contain a sufficient amount of oxalic acid.
It is important to remember that jam will benefit the body only if the plant was correctly and timely harvested.
How to cook jam from rhubarb: recipes
Before making jam, it is necessary to choose the rhubarb correctly. It is best to take the stalks of medium size, as they contain the most useful substances. It is also important that the surface of the stalks is free of any kind of damage.
There are a large number of recipes for making delicious and healthy jam from rhubarb. You can use the classic recipe. To prepare the dessert, you will need sugar and the stems of the plant in equal quantities.
Rhubarb is washed, cut into cubes, then pour over the granulated sugar. Put the pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Boil everything for 5 minutes and set aside. When the dessert cools down, repeat everything twice more. Then pour it into jars and close with lids. After it cools down, put it in a cool place. The fridge or the cellar will do.
You can also add other berries or fruits. So the dessert will get a special aroma, a unique taste.
With the addition of citrus, the dessert acquires a pleasant color and flavor. It goes well with baked goods. But before using it, you must make sure that there is no allergic reaction to orange, as it refers to the allergenic products.
For cooking you will need the following products:
- rhubarb in an amount of 1 kg;
- 1 kg granulated sugar;
- 0.5 kg of oranges.
The citruses need to be peeled from the skin, cut up. In a saucepan pour sugar, rhubarb, pre-washed and diced, oranges. Everything needs to infuse.
Put the jam on the fire when the sugar has completely dissolved. Bring to a boil. To give a brighter flavor, you can add a small amount of zest. Boil the mass until it thickens. Then pour into jars, which must first be sterilized.
Such jam will be an excellent remedy for colds, as it contains a sufficient amount of vitamin C. It also has a antipyretic effect. To make it, you need to take 1 kg of rhubarb and sugar, one large lemon.
Remove the zest from the citrus and grind the pulp with a meat grinder or blender. Wash and chop the stalks, pour the sugar. Infuse everything for a day in the refrigerator. After that, boil for 5 minutes, cool.
Then, when the jam has cooled, put it back on the stove and boil it. So it has to boil twice for 5 minutes each. When the jam boils 2 times, add the pulp of the lemon and cook again for 10 minutes.
Popular is also a recipe from the stems of the plant with the addition of an apple. Such a combination is quite successful, the dessert turns out fragrant, useful and pleasant to the taste.
To prepare it, you will need to prepare the following ingredients in advance:
- 2 kg each of sugar and rhubarb;
- A couple of teaspoons of cinnamon;
- 1 kg of apples.
The stems of the plant and apples, first of all, need to be washed. Remove the skin from the apples and slice. Chop the rhubarb as well. Mix everything in a bowl and leave until the sugar has dissolved. Put the pot on the stove. As everything boils, turn down the power of the stove and cook for 15 minutes. The jam should thicken. Pour it hot into pre-sterilized jars.
Such a product as cinnamon allows you to make the dessert more spicy, fragrant. It is also not difficult to cook it, and any hostess can cope with it. Before cooking, you should prepare rhubarb in the amount of 1 kg. Wash and cut it into small cubes. You will also need 1 kg of sugar and a small spoonful of cinnamon.
Put the cut stems in a container and pour the sugar (500 grams). All insist for 12 hours. The sugar should dissolve, and the stems - to extract the juice. Pour the juice into a separate container and put on a stove, turn on minimum heat. As it boils, pour the rest of the sugar. When the syrup is ready, put the pieces of stalks and cook for 5 minutes. Then set it aside and let it infuse for 5 hours. Then boil again for 5 minutes and cool. Repeat the boiling for a third time, and add the cinnamon. Leave it on the stove for another 5 minutes.
Pour the dessert into jars before it cools. They should be put down with the lids, and after cooling, put away for storage.
Rhubarb perfectly combines with banana as well. The jam turns out moderately sweet and fragrant. Such a dessert will please not only children, but also adults. For its preparation, you will need the following components:
- granulated sugar in the amount of 1 kg;
- rhubarb - 1 kg;
- bananas - 500 gr.
Peel the rhubarb from the leaves, wash and cut into small cubes. Peel and cut bananas as well. Mix sugar and rhubarb in a saucepan, put in a cold place for 10 hours. When the sugar has dissolved, boil on low heat for 5 minutes and cool. Repeat the procedure. After the jam has cooled for the second time, add the bananas and boil again for about 7 minutes.
Pour the jam into jars while it is hot, cover and let it cool. You can store it for six months.
In the multicooker
You can also cook jam in a multicooker. It is a good helper for any housewife, as it allows you to prepare almost any dish quickly and without hassle. To prepare a delicious dessert, you will need to prepare 1 kg of rhubarb and the same amount of sugar.
Wash the rhubarb, cut it up. Pour it into the bowl of the multicooker and pour the sugar. Sustain everything for 12 hours. Cook in the mode "Stew", since the power is small, the mass will not run away.
The advantage of multicooker is that it cooks quickly enough. It takes only an hour to cook the jam. The timer should be set for this time. Then it can be placed in jars and closed with a lid.
How to sterilize jars
There are several ways to sterilize jars. Each hostess can choose the one that is more convenient and easier. But before they can be sterilized, it is necessary:
- Check the container for chips and cracks. This is unacceptable for the storage of food products. In addition, if there are cracks during the laying of jam, the jar can burst.
- Lids should also be subjected to sterilization. They should be checked for damage. They should not have dents on them.
- Jars should not be washed with household chemicals. It is enough to wash them with an ordinary dishwashing detergent and rinse them thoroughly several times under running water.
You can sterilize jars in the following ways:
- In the microwave. Pour water into the jars and put them in the microwave for 7 minutes. Boil the lids separately on the stove.
- In a water bath. Pour water into a saucepan and place a sieve on top. You can use a colander. Put the jars on top, when the water boils. Sterilize for 5-7 minutes.
- In the oven. According to many, this is the easiest way, especially if you need to sterilize several jars with lids at once. It is important that this method is not suitable if the lids are silicone. Put the jars together with the lids on a baking tray. Heat the oven to 120 degrees. Sterilize for 15 to 25 minutes, depending on the volume of the containers.
Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. But they all allow you to well sterilize the jars and keep cooked preparations for a long time.
Interesting facts about rhubarb
Rhubarb is a perennial plant, the stems of which are good for making jam. Here are some interesting facts:
- The plant is very popular in Estonia. Its stems are used in baking. It is used to make delicious and quite sweet cakes, muffins, and even cakes. Cinnamon is added for a special flavor.
- Rhubarb can be stored for up to 3 days after being cut. For better preservation, it is best to cut the stems and put them in the freezer.
- Rhubarb is first mentioned in Chinese manuscripts dating back to 2700 BC. It was used for medicinal purposes.
- The rhubarb diet was very popular among Hollywood stars. Many women claim that with its help they were able to get rid of 4 kg of weight in one month. The basis of the diet is rhubarb, which is consumed at every meal.
Americans are also not indifferent to rhubarb. It is combined with strawberries. Thus, the plant has long been used not only in cooking, but also in medicine.
Rhubarb is rich in a variety of micronutrients, fiber and vitamins. It contains a whole complex of useful substances. Its use in moderate quantities contributes not only to improve mood, but also has a positive effect on various body systems, including the immune system. But rhubarb jam can also cause harm to the body. About this it is necessary to remember and do not abuse the product.
«Important: All information on the site is provided solely for introductory purposes. Before applying any recommendations, consult with a specialist. specialist before using any of the recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be liable for any possible harm caused by materials."