Cherry: calories, beneficial properties and contraindications
"...Apple trees in bloom - the creation of spring..." and although the famous song sings by no means about the cherry, nevertheless the flowering of this tree is also beautiful, and ripe, juicy fruits may well compete with the apple for the number of useful substances in the composition. The fragile tree, which brings people dark red berries, has the power to heal and enhance human health.
- Types of cherries
- What is the difference between a cherry and a cherry
- Which is healthier
- Composition and Calories
- How cherry is useful
- General benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- In Pregnancy
- For children
- When losing weight
- The benefits and harms of cherry leaves
- Is cherry leaf tea useful?
- Cherry Pips: Benefits and Harms
- Cherry Berries for Recipes
- Frozen Cherry
- Dried Cherry
- Cherry in medicine
- For Diabetes Mellitus
- When pancreatitis
- For Gastritis
- For the bowel
- For constipation
- For gout
- For colitis
- For hemorrhoids
- Pri cholecystitis
- Recipes of folk medicine based on cherries
- Help in atherosclerosis
- Epilepsy Treatment
- To improve the blood supply
- For fever
- Cherry in cosmetology
- For Face
- For Hair
- Cherry in cooking
- Hazards and Contraindications
- How to choose a Cherry
- How to Eat Cherries
- How much can I eat per day?
- Can I Eat at Night?
- Can I Eat With Pits?
- What to make with cherries: Recipes
- How to quickly remove bones from a cherry tree
- Can we give cherries to animals
- Interesting facts about Cherry
The very name "cherry" meant in the original version "tree with sticky juice" and has common roots with the German and Latin names. The first cherries were seen by the Romans in the city of Kerasuntum and became known by the name of the locality - Kerasuntum fruit.
In Russia cherry became widespread during the reign of Yury Dolgoruky, who liked the sour-sweet fruit. It was at that time that the first cherry orchards appeared.
Cherry belongs to the plum tree and is considered a fruit. But everyone got used to calling this delicious fruit a berry, which has a sour-sweet taste and a juicy burgundy-red color.
Types of cherries
Scholars believe that the first cherry trees were brought to Rome by the general Lucullus. Currently there are about 150 known species of this fruit tree, but the most popular have been: "cherry", "steppe cherry", "common cherry", "felt cherry", "Magaleb cherry". It was these that took "part" in the formation of most of the varieties that are cultivated today.
- "Felt cherry" grows in China, mainly in its northwestern regions, as well as in Japan. It is a small tree, about 3 meters tall, growing in the mountains. The species gets its name from its leaves, which resemble felt underneath. The tree blooms with white-pink flowers, and its red fruits have a pleasant, mild taste.
- "Steppe Cherry. Its second name is "bush cherry." This variety is well known in Russia, Ukraine, the North Caucasus, Siberia, Asia Minor, Europe and the Balkans. The low (about 2 m) shrub is used to settle in the forest-steppe zone, on arid slopes, in the middle of numerous other shrubs. It is an unpretentious and sweet berry of dark cherry or yellow color.
- "Common cherry" is rather a cultivated plant, as science has no information about its wild species. Its progenitors are commonly referred to as "steppe cherry" and "cherry", and its homeland is Asia Minor, the Caucasus and the Crimea. Currently, it is the variety that is most popular with amateur gardeners. It well tolerates drought and frost. Its dark red fruits have a sour-sweet taste, and the fragrant aroma of white flowers, makes you dream and enjoy her blossoms.
- "Magaleb Cherry. This variety in its wild form is listed in the pages of the Red Book. Its homeland is considered Asia. In the wild, it can be found on the mountain slopes of the Alps, the Crimea, the Carpathians. It is used both as an ornament to the household plot and as a tree that yields delicious, slightly bitter fruit, colored almost black. It is mostly used to make liqueurs, various tinctures, as well as canned.
- "Cherry. This particular subspecies of cherry is considered one of the most ancient. It was tasted by the Romans in the Asian city of Kerasunte. The sweet fruit of the plant is loved by adults and children alike. They are the sweetest of all members of the cherry family. They can be colored yellow, red and dark maroon. For this variety, the southern regions are needed. It is there that a rich and healthy crop is harvested.
Cherry varieties are also divided into tree-shaped and bush-shaped. Tree-shaped is a tree, the height of 2 to 7 m, and shrubs consist of several trunks, from which the roots depart.
But all kinds of cherries have fragrant flowers and juicy bright fruit, which are very useful for the human body.
What is the difference between cherry and bird cherry
Cherry is considered one of the oldest varieties of cherry and belongs to the same family of Plum. It is known that the cherry has been known to mankind since 8 thousand years ago. This very type of plant was mentioned by Herodotus and its fruits were admired by Sargon II, the ruler of Assyria. The cherry is considered the ancestor of the modern cherry, but for all their similarity, these plants differ from each other not only in the taste of the fruit, but also in other characteristics:
- The shape of the plant. While the cherry can be both a shrub and a branchy tree, up to 7 m high, the cherry is always a sturdy tree, which can be 10 m high.
- Crown color. Cherry trees have gray-brown trunks, but cherry trees have brown-red trunks.
- Leaves. The cherry leaf has marginal serrations and a bright scent, while the cherry leaf is oval and virtually uncut. The cherry leaf lacks fragrance.
- Fruits. Cherry berries have a sour-sweet taste, while cherries have a sweet taste. In addition, cherry fruits are colored in shades of red, while cherry fruits, in addition to red, can also be yellow or even black.
- Weather conditions. Cherry is a plant that can tolerate frosts, but cherries grow in southern areas.
- Diseases. If the fungus is able to completely destroy the cherry, the cherry suffers only the leaves, which are removed, and the tree does not lose its fruitfulness.
- Consumption. Ripe and juicy cherries wonderfully reveal their flavor in various kinds of preparations: compotes, jams, liqueurs, etc. But it is better to eat cherries fresh to experience the pleasure of the alluring sweetness of the fruit.
Which is healthier
Cherries and cherries belong to the same species, so they have a similar composition of useful substances, but still have differences. For example, they contain vitamin C, but cherries, according to scientists, have more of it. As for antioxidants, in cherries it is polyphenols, and in cherries - anthocyanins. They contain both vitamins and minerals, but cherries are richer in these components. In addition, it has less sugar and calories. That is why physicians are still inclined to recognize the cherry as a more useful fruit.
In any case, both berries can improve human health, but each gourmet chooses his own taste!
Composition and calories
Speaking about the unique abilities of cherry fruits to support a healthy human existence, it is worth paying attention to the extensive list of its useful substances, which include:
- vitamins B, A, C, PP;
- salicylic acid, succinic acid, formic acid;
It contains 1 g of protein, 0.3 g of fat, 12.18 g of carbohydrates, 8.5 g of sugar, 1.6 g of dietary fiber per 100 g of fresh fruit. The caloric value is 50 kcal.
Experts note that the useful substances in each variety prevail in different amounts and depend on the climate and the characteristics of the area of cultivation.
What are the benefits of cherries
Of course, the cherry fruit does not occupy a leading position by the number of microelements, but nevertheless its composition is quite balanced and rich. Therefore, the berry has the following properties:
- strengthening of the cardiovascular system;
- normalization of blood clotting;
- reducing cholesterol levels;
- elimination of constipation;
- normalization of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Destruction of dysentery pathogens;
- Prevention and treatment of arthritis, gout;
- immunity improvement;
- prevention of avitaminosis;
- normalization of the nervous system;
- combating symptoms of acute respiratory viral infections;
- Strengthening of hair and nails;
- improvement of skin appearance;
- improvement of visual acuity;
- improvement and strengthening of teeth;
- Improvement of general tonus;
- natural antibiotic;
- Improving metabolism.
This is how the little cherry tree fights for the enhancement of human health. But still its benefits differ both by age and by gender of the person. For each category it has its own "secrets".
The female body needs special protection - the cherry is able to have specific effects that women need. In addition to the overall positive impact on human health, the fruit helps to avoid spasmodic pain during the critical days. This property was given to the berry by magnesium, which is included in its composition. It also normalizes the menstrual cycle and helps to cope with the symptoms of menopause. Its effects are useful for both young girls and older women. The fruit is able to stop, or rather reduce the amount of heavy discharge during menstruation.
Another quality that is so valuable for the beautiful half of humanity is the ability to purify and rejuvenate the skin. Also, the berry helps to cope with nervous stress, improves eyesight, removes edema and helps to lose weight, cleanses the body, breaks down fats and fights the development of cancerous tumors.
For members of the male sex, cherry fruits are indispensable. Their magical effect is as follows:
- normalizing the production of male hormones and potency;
- Improvement of seminal fluid;
- Prevention of male infertility, prostate adenoma, cancer;
- Improvement of general tone and physical endurance.
It is also worth noting that not only fresh berries are useful for men, but also products made from them, because zinc, which copes with most male problems, is not destroyed in the process of making jams, jams, compotes, etc.
A woman expecting a baby is experiencing a fairly large shortage of micronutrients, which must be replenished. Cherry fruit, which can have a unique effect during pregnancy, copes well with this. It saturates the body of the mother and child with most of the necessary vitamins and minerals. Also, the wonderful berry helps to remove toxins from the intestines and excess fluid, thereby reducing swelling, strengthens teeth, bones and hair, copes with mood swings, eliminates insomnia, helps improve immunity, normalizes the gastrointestinal tract and CNS. In addition, some expectant mothers have joint pain - cherries can alleviate the suffering of the pregnant woman. It can prevent the development of gestational diabetes, which is characteristic of pregnant women. This is due to the glucose contained in the fruit in the proper amount.
The future little man will also benefit from the use of ripe cherries by his mother during pregnancy. The fact is that the fruit is able to protect the nerve cells of the fetus, and subsequently it has a positive effect on the child's brain function. And folic acid, which is in the berry, is an essential element of the baby's blood cells and reduces the risk of birth defects.
But do not forget that the berry is allergenic, as well as dangerous exacerbations of gastritis. In such cases, it is replaced by compotes, decoctions, jams and cherry teas. But still, to avoid the risks of complications, you should consult with your doctor before using it.
Breastfeeding is essential for the healthy development of your baby. Therefore, during the lactation period, the mother must carefully monitor her menu and include the most useful products for the baby and her body. Scientists have proven that the bright berry should be a must in the diet of the mother. In addition to its positive impact on women (helping to get rid of extra pounds, increasing hemoglobin, improving overall health, normalizing the nervous system, preventing thyroid disorders, reducing cholesterol levels, strengthening hair and nails, bone skeleton and teeth, the berry protects the infant from anemia. It contributes to the normal digestive process, forms a useful intestinal microflora, helps to organize the cardiovascular system, improves immunity and reduces the risk of colic.
But all this does not mean that in the first days, mom can eat kilos of fruit. In the first month, doctors forbid eating the berry. In the second month, you can eat no more than 100 g per day, and in the first days start trying one or two berries, gradually increasing the dose. By four months, you can afford to eat 300 g per day.
In general, the use of the fruit has a positive effect on the health of the young mother and baby!
Thanks to its rich vitamin and mineral complex, the miracle cherry is useful not only for adults, but also for children. It has the following beneficial qualities for children's bodies:
- treatment and prevention of childhood anemia;
- removal of toxins and impurities;
- Improvement of the gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system;
- Treatment and prevention of constipation;
- Improvement and normalization of intestinal microflora;
- Help in the treatment of diseases of the upper respiratory tract;
- strengthening of blood vessels;
- increase appetite;
- Strengthening of the bone skeleton and its proper formation;
- reduction of allergy symptoms, thanks to catechins and tannins;
- increase immunity;
- the removal of inflammation of the mucous membranes.
Based on such a list of benefits brought by cherries, it is necessary to include it in the child's diet. Experts recommend introducing the fruit from 10-11 months in the amount of a few small pieces of one berry, or rather half of it.
If the child does not have a reaction, then after 2 weeks you can give a whole berry, increasing the portion to 50 grams by the year. At 3 years the daily rate can go up to 150 grams.
If the baby has a reaction to the fruit after the first reception, the second time you can offer a treat after 2-3 weeks. If the situation repeats, the use of berries is recommended to postpone until three years.
When losing weight
Cherries not only promote health, but also help to lose excess weight. This is facilitated by:
- Low caloric value. 100 g of berries contains 50 kcal. It certainly will not add extra grams and centimeters, even if you eat a lot of berries.
- Carbohydrates. The fruit does contain carbohydrates, but not harmful, but formed by fructose and sucrose. Most of the berry consists of protein and fiber, which are simply indispensable in the process of losing weight.
- Glycemic Index. Cherries have this index equal to 22 units, which is not a risk for elevated sugar levels.
- The berries improve metabolism, which is useful in the fight against extra pounds.
- Cherries improve the work of the intestine, freeing it from toxins, which leads to a purification of the body and weight loss in general.
In addition, essential oils, which the product possesses, participate in the process of breaking down fats.
But still it is not necessary to greatly abuse the berry. Dietitians recommend consuming it during a diet to saturate the body with useful microelements and maintain health. In this case it won't hurt 200-300 grams, but at night you can allow only 50 g of berries, and better to give up on night berry snacks altogether.
The benefits and harms of cherry leaves
The cherry tree has endowed the ability to heal not only its fruits, but also its leaves. They contain such elements as:
- B vitamins, A, C, E;
Due to this composition, leaves can increase immunity, eliminate the negative effects of the environment on the body, fight cancer cells, thin the blood, tone, get rid of cramps, soothe inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. And also improve the intestinal microflora, help treat hepatitis, remove excess fluid, stop nasal bleeding, cleanse the kidneys of sand, treat anemia, reduce heavy menstrual bleeding.
Consumption of the leaves does not have any specific daily quota. They are used to make tea, add to compote, jams and other preparations.
But despite all their advantages, the leaves can bring harm to the person, so they should not be taken in such cases as:
- susceptibility to allergies;
- Individual intolerance to the component;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- pneumonia in a chronic manifestation;
- children under the age of three years.
Is cherry leaf tea useful?
Cherry leaf is an excellent "brew" for tea. The resulting drink has an exquisite taste, a bright aroma and is able to quench thirst well, and in combination with honey or, for example, lemon can give a real pleasure. In addition, cherry tea can help stop bleeding, cleanse the kidneys, reduce blood pressure, get rid of toxins, speed up the recovery process from viral infections, increase immunity, prevent the aging of the body and improve the appearance.
Still, this healing drink also has its own contraindications:
- exacerbation of gastritis or ulcers;
- Acidity of the stomach;
- low blood pressure;
- Individual intolerance.
If there are no obstacles to the use of such tea, it is worth trying to recharge a cup of flavored beverage, and at the same time to improve their health.
Cherry pips: Health benefits and harms
Cherry pips cause a controversial attitude. The fact is that they have amygdalin in their composition, which when chewed and mixed with saliva releases cyanide. This is the most harmful effect of the bone on humans. But you need to eat at least 600 of them to be lethal, making sure to grind them up. Therefore, if you accidentally swallow one or two bones, you should not write a will and call a notary. The body itself will cope with the incoming poison, simply neutralizing it with its own resources.
But there are also benefits of berry pits. They have a positive effect in the treatment of arthritis, gout, osteochondrosis, colds, increase immunity. They also extract magic oil from them, which is able to rejuvenate the skin and tighten it no worse than expensive peelings. In addition, the fruit kernel is used to make healing drinks - tinctures that can cope with many chronic diseases, give strength and improve health. But of course, everything must be in moderation and on the recommendation of a specialist.
The benefits of cherry pickings
Cherries - a seasonal berry, so many people strive to preserve compotes, freeze the fruit or make juice, so that in winter to enjoy not only the juicy taste, but also get the benefits. In this case, of course, fresh berries contain the most useful substances, but also in the preserves many of them are not lost and also can be beneficial.
Bright drink, brewed from the fruit of the cherry tree, will give a real summer mood and invaluable benefits to the body of adults and children. Of course, in the process of boiling the useful substances become a little less than in fresh fruit, nevertheless the drink contains vitamins B, A, C, PP, K, E, as well as magnesium, iron, zinc, sodium, beta-carotene, phosphorus and potassium. It is these that can affect the body in a positive way:
- Increase hemoglobin, thereby preventing the development of anemia;
- reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases;
- Increase the body's resistance to viral infections, and improve the elasticity of blood vessels;
- Improve the appearance of the skin;
- strengthen bones;
- calm the nervous system.
The compote will please not only the adult body with its vitamins, but also children.
But it is worth noting that kompot is not recommended for people suffering from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and pancreas. In addition, its excessive use can add weight and worsen dental health, because the compote contains sugar. That is why its caloric value is higher than that of fresh fruit, and can reach 100 kcal per 100 g. Experts recommend drinking 2 glasses a day. In this case, hostesses should remember that in the process of cooking it is necessary to remove the pips, which contain hydrocyanic acid!
Concentrated cherry juice is sour to the taste, and many do not like it for this, but in vain! Its composition is not different from the fresh berry and has the same beneficial effect on the body as the freshly picked fruit itself. But its main difference is the large amount of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory effect. The latter property is most valuable for people who are professionally engaged in sports, as the juice perfectly relieves muscle pain. Also the drink reduces cholesterol levels, removes toxins, fights free radicals, eliminates intestinal sluggishness and the aggressive influence of the environment on the skin.
However, doctors do not recommend using juice in the presence of ulcers, gastritis, liver and kidney disease. It is also contraindicated for children under one year and patients with diabetes!
The rest of mankind can enjoy the taste of the wonderful drink without fearing for their health.
Aromatic cherry berry jam can make anyone fall in love with it. Bright, juicy, sweet - it can decorate any baked goods or become a separate dessert.
Jam is not only tasty, but also very healthy! It contains:
- polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- dietary fiber;
- Vitamins B, C, E, and other substances that are also found in fresh fruit.
When boiled, the amount of vitamin C and vitamin B9 is greatly reduced, but the other components remain largely unchanged. That is why jam is unique in its healing properties. It is able to:
- Normalize the nervous system;
- eliminate insomnia;
- improve metabolism and skin condition;
- increase visual acuity;
- Prevent the aging process of the body;
- Increase hemoglobin and protect against anemia;
- regulate sugar levels;
- strengthen the immune system;
- cope with the symptoms of angina and colds.
Therefore, drinking tea with cherry jam on a cold winter evening, you can make a great gift to your health. But you should not forget about the caloric content of the product. Because of the high sugar content, it is 256 kcal. Also the use of the dessert is not desirable for people suffering from obesity, diabetes, allergies. In addition, children under 3 years of age should not be given jam either. But if the age of three years left behind and there are no obstacles, then you can enjoy jam, but do not forget about the measure. She each has his own, but still 5-6 spoonfuls do not cause any concern!
To enjoy ripe cherries in winter, you do not need to run to the supermarket and buy berries of dubious quality. You can just stock up on them in summer and freeze them, especially since this fruit perfectly tolerates this procedure. In this case, neither the useful substances nor the taste is substantially changed. But in order to preserve its properties in a truly pristine version, you need to know some tricks of freezing.
The berries should be thoroughly washed, remove the leaves and stalks, and then dry. You can not delay the process, because the more time has passed since the harvest, the less vitamins become. So you need to immediately put the cherries in bags or containers and put them in the freezer. So the berries will be able to enjoy their taste for a year. But it is worth remembering that it should not be subjected to a second freezing procedure.
In this form, the fruit can be added to compotes, jams, pastries, as well as any other dishes.
The dried cherry also has all the qualities and abilities of the fresh berry. Its vitamin composition does not change at all, so it can affect the nervous system, cardiovascular and circulatory system, improve brain function, vision, tone up, fight viruses and colds, increase the body's defenses, prevent the development of cancerous tumors, cleanse the body. But it also has contraindications: gastritis, ulcers, diabetes. Otherwise, the berry is safe and very healthy. Therefore, it is worth buying or collecting berries and dry them for the winter.
There are two methods of drying: natural conditions, ie, when the cherries are dried in the sun for four days, and then cooked in an oven for 10 hours at a temperature not exceeding 60 ° C. It is possible to do the whole procedure in the oven at once. For this, the cherries are placed on a baking tray and put in the oven for 8 hours at 165 ° C with the door ajar.
The hostess decides which of these options to choose, but both of them wonderfully preserve all the benefits of the natural fruit.
Cherry in medicine
Medics are meticulous people, so they check everything thoroughly. After all, the patient's life depends on the correctness of the chosen drug. But not only with drugs doctors treat their patients. Along with them, specialists offer to take advantage of the powers of nature, which are embodied in herbs, roots, vegetables and fruits.
Naturally, after much research, the cherry tree got its right to help patients in the treatment of such ailments as angina, gout, arthritis, anemia, rheumatism. It also cleanses the body, removes toxins and impurities, relieves inflammations, headaches and recurrent pains in women, increases potency, fights swelling, removes cholesterol, lowers blood pressure, improves brain activity, prolongs youth. About its benefits we can talk a lot, if not endlessly, but there are some diagnoses that force people to be extremely picky in the choice of products consumed, require special attention.
In case of diabetes mellitus.
Due to its low glycemic index, which is 22 units, medics have no contraindications to the consumption of this berry by patients diagnosed with diabetes. They can eat up to 300 grams per day. At the same time, you should use only fresh berries, which do not contain harmful sugar, but only useful compounds.
During an acute attack of such a serious disease as pancreatitis, the consumption of cherries is under the strictest prohibition. The dietary fiber, with which the fruit is rich, can only aggravate the patient's condition. In the period of "lull" it is quite possible to afford to taste the wonderful fruit, but it is better if they are heat-treated, for example, in a compote. So it will be possible to avoid the risks of complications and get one pleasure and benefit.
Gastritis is often accompanied by such an unpleasant phenomenon as constipation. Cherry berries can gently eliminate this problem. However, it is worth resorting to such a medicine only in a period of deep remission, because cherries can aggravate the course of the disease and irritate the inflamed mucosa even more. You can consume 150-200 g of fruit per day, but you should not neglect the opinion of a gastroenterologist. It is better to seek his advice in establishing an individual norm, which depends on the condition of the patient and the features of his body as a whole.
Cherries are essential to the intestines! It cleans it of toxins, improves the peristalsis of the entire gastrointestinal tract, and fights constipation, which can be a lot of negative emotions. It also blocks pathogenic bacteria in the intestines, thus helping to establish a healthy microflora of the latter. If you eat about 300 grams of ripe fruit per day, then the intestinal function will be normalized and will be fully restored. You can also safely use and harvested cherries. They retain all the useful trace elements for this organ.
In the fight against constipation, the cherry is also able to show itself as a drug to cope with the symptoms of this problem. The berry has a laxative effect, so its use has a positive effect on the treatment of this disease, without causing harm to the body. It is recommended to consume ripe fruits or compote made from them. But you should not forget that increased acidity of the stomach is a contraindication to this method of treatment.
Since ancient times, the cherry has been used to treat and relieve symptoms of gout. Ripe fresh berries can remove urine salts, as well as relieve the redness of inflamed joints. Experts recommend using berries before each meal in an amount of at least 25 pieces. In this case, during the period of exacerbation of the disease, take the sour-sweet treatment should be from three to five times a day. It is also recommended to drink milk with fresh fruit or cherry syrup.
Colitis is a fairly common disease, in which patients are forbidden to eat most berries and fruits. During the remission period, you can allow yourself to eat cherry fruit, but you should be very careful. In a week you can eat no more than 200 grams of fresh fruit. But berries, which have been thermally processed, namely jam, can be enjoyed. The body will be saturated with useful trace elements and will not get much harm. In any case, it is necessary to consult a doctor, because only a specialist is able to determine all the possible risks of the use.
With hemorrhoids, which often occurs against a background of constipation, the cherry can become a lifeline. It can be eaten both fresh and in the form of compote, jam and other stuff. It has a laxative property and will help to establish the process of defecation, which in turn will alleviate the symptoms of the disease. But it is worth remembering that the laxative effect of berries is weak, so from the drug treatment should not be abandoned.
A diagnosis of cholecystitis is also a kind of restriction on the consumption of many foods. But cherries and cherry products are not one of them. Having a choleretic effect, albeit quite small, it helps to remove bile from the body, as well as clears the sand. That is why doctors do not prohibit the use of berries for patients suffering from cholecystitis, but during exacerbations it is not desirable to eat them. During remission, it is still better to process berries, i.e. to eat jam, compotes, marmalade, but there will be no danger in the consumption of fresh fruit. The only thing to be wary of is abuse and increased acidity of the stomach. Therefore, it is advisable not to eat more than one handful of ripe fruit per day.
Recipes of folk medicine on the basis of cherries
Folk healers and herbalists also have not ignored the cherry. They use the wisdom and knowledge of their ancestors about the healing properties of plants, vegetables and fruits to treat diseases. Cherries with their list of beneficial effects on the human body have become the basis of many recipes to help cope with various ailments.
Help for atherosclerosis.
- Cherries - 1 kg.
- Steamed milk - 4 cups.
One kilogram of cherries washed and divided into 4 parts. Each part to take along with steamed milk, drinking berries.
Treatment of epilepsy
- 3 parts dried cherry fruit.
- 1 part of Karkade tea.
- 2 parts dried flowers of oregano.
- 2 tsp. honey.
Combine all the components. Their total volume should be half a cup, in which you need to add 0.5 cup of water. Boil the mass for 15 minutes and let it stand for an hour. In the resulting product add honey and mix. Use this remedy in the afternoon, dividing the decoction into two parts.
To improve the blood circulation system
- Cherries - 400 g.
- May honey - 150 g.
- Orange - 2 pcs.
Wash the berries and remove the seeds, and then combine with all the components. Boil the mixture for 25 minutes over low heat. Take the cure 3 times a day after a meal, 20 minutes. The daily dose is 1 tbsp.
- Cherries - 250 g.
- Water - 1 liter.
Wash the fruit and remove the pit. Crush the fruit with a rolling pin and add warm boiled water. Insist 40 minutes, stirring the product periodically. When severe fever, consume up to two liters per day.
Cherry in cosmetology
Scientists have established the fact that the berries have a positive effect on the skin, rejuvenate it, saturate it with vitamins, maintain water balance, fighting wrinkles and the harmful effects of the environment, eliminating inflammation. In addition, strengthening the hair and giving it a healthy shine is also included in the list of amazing possibilities of this fruit. Because of these abilities, the cherry has also proven itself in cosmetology, where based on the pulp and seeds began to create cosmetic preparations that improve the appearance of the skin and maintain their health naturally. But expensive cosmetic procedures and products are not available to everyone, but to make them at home is not very difficult.
For the face
Smoothing wrinkles mask
- Cherry fruit - 5 pcs.
- Starch - 5 gr.
- Avocado oil - 5 ml.
Wash the fruit, remove the kernel and make a homogeneous mass of fruit pulp. Add remaining ingredients and leave on your face for 20 minutes. Rinse under running water.
For skin prone to greasiness
- Cherries - 3 pieces.
- Salicylic acid - 10 drops.
- White or pink clay - 10 g.
Wash the berries and remove the pips. Prepare a cherry puree, which is combined with clay and acid. Stir. Before applying such a mask, wash with hot decoction of chamomile flowers and only then apply the mass to the face. Time - 20 minutes. After that remove remains with a cotton pad or a cosmetic napkin.
For combination skin
- Cherry juice - 15 ml.
- Rice - 10 gr.
- A pinch of cinnamon.
Combine pre-boiled rice with all the components and puree with a blender. Apply it on a cleaned face in the area of forehead, nose and chin. Endure for half an hour and wash.
For the hair
Hair also needs a lot of care. Nowadays shampoos, unfortunately, contain rather aggressive components, which negatively affect hair, so natural products will help to saturate the curls with health and return them to the lost strength.
- Cherry - 15 fruits.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Banana - 1 pc.
Make a puree of peeled and pitted berries and a banana and add an egg. Apply the mixture to the entire length of the hair, wrap with a towel and rinse with water after 20 minutes.
- Cherry juice - ½ cup.
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Potato starch - 2 tablespoons.
Mix the ingredients thoroughly and apply to the hair on the entire length. Wrap the head with a towel and leave for half an hour. Rinse with running water.
To cure hair loss
- Cherry juice - ½ cup.
- Yolk - 1 pc.
- Burdock oil - 1 tbsp.
Combine all ingredients and apply to the hair. Wash off after half an hour.
Cherry in cooking
First of all, the cherry is a ready-to-eat product, so its use in cooking is natural. The fruit is eaten fresh as well as canned, dried, and dried. Its bright aroma awakens the appetite, and a little acidity makes the taste more vivid.
In Ukrainian cuisine, for example, dumplings with cherry stuffing are very popular. German cuisine is famous for cherry strudel and French cuisine is famous for clafoutis with cherries. Their leaves are used in canning various vegetables, in the preparation of marinades, for example. And the combination of berries and alcohol is considered almost a classic of the genre!
In Russia, the cherry has also found its application in baked goods, sauces and marinades. Cherries are used for morses and compotes that quench one's thirst, as well as marmalades, jams and marshmallows, which are good for health.
No matter in what form people consume cherry fruits, they always give them their amazing taste and amazing benefits.
Harms and contraindications
Despite all its advantages, the cherry still has disadvantages, which limit its use to people with the following diagnoses and disorders:
- Exacerbation of gastritis and peptic ulcer disease;
- low blood pressure;
- acute inflammatory diseases of the lungs;
- individual intolerance;
- thinning of tooth enamel.
But it is worth noting that a slight use of berries is still possible in such diseases. You just need to consult with a specialist and weigh all the pros and cons. After that, you can enjoy your favorite delicacy, without fearing for your health, but also without abusing it.
How to choose how to store cherries
In order for the berry to really bring health benefits, you need to choose it correctly, if you do not have your own harvest. It is not difficult to do this at all, if you know the general rules:
- Color. The fruit should have a juicy bright red color. The darker the color of the fruit, the sweeter it is.
- Stalk. It is better to choose those fruits where the stem is preserved, as such cherries are stored much longer. The stem itself should be green in color.
- Density. Cherries should be fairly dense and uniform. There should not be any darkening or dents.
You should also make sure that the cherries do not have traces of mold.
Choosing a ripe berry, you need to carefully take it or bring it home, because the fruit does not tolerate the process of transportation very well. If the berries are safely delivered to the place of destination, you need to know how to store them properly, so that the health benefits were maximum. In the refrigerator, berries can be stored for five days unwashed in the fruit compartment. It is better to keep them in the bag with which the product is purchased.
In frozen form, the fruit can retain its freshness and useful elements for a year.
Dried or dried cherries can be stored in containers or canvas bags.
How to eat cherries
There are their own rules for eating healthy berries:
- First of all, cherries should be well washed and placed on a dish together with cuttings or in cremangles loose.
- You should also not eat the fruit on an empty stomach, as cherries increase acidity. It is better to consume the berries as a sweet dessert, taking a break from the main meal.
- In addition, you should rinse your mouth with clean water after eating the fruit to avoid destructive effects on tooth enamel.
How much you can eat per day
You should not get carried away with the fruit. The daily rate is 1 kg for an adult, and a child should eat from 200 g to 500 g. Also experts recommend not consuming all berries at once, but dividing them into several intakes.
People who suffer from any diseases in which the intake of berries should be limited, should consult a specialist who can set the rate depending on the diagnosis of the patient.
Can I eat them at night?
Cherries are one of those berries, the consumption of which will have absolutely no effect on the body, if you eat its fruits just before going to bed. Of course, you can consume not a large bowl, but only a handful. Exactly such a dose will not harm either the figure or the health.
Is it possible to eat with bones?
Cherry seeds, in addition to useful substances, contain hydrocyanic acid, which is extremely dangerous for humans. But at the same time, its release is possible only in the case of crushed kernels. And their amount must be huge, so if a person swallows a couple of cherry stones, then you should not worry. But it is still better not to risk, and the useful elements of nuclei are obtained by consuming cherry oil or using decoction of cherry seeds, which are not dangerous and have only benefits.
What you can make from cherries: recipes
Cherry pies, jams, jellies, marmalade and confit - this is only one hundredth of the list of what you can cook, using bright summer berries. But there are dishes and drinks that hostesses make more often than others.
A red colored drink with little berries floating in it is great for quenching thirst and pleasing to the eye.
- Cherries - 1 cup.
- Water - 2,5 l.
- Sugar - 1 cup.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the berries and place them in clean prepared jars, which are filled with boiling water.
- Allow to stand for 7 minutes and pour the water into a pan. Add sugar and boil.
- Pour the syrup back into the jars and seal with lids. Until the moment the jam cools, store it upside down in the warmth.
Sweet cherry jam is a great addition to a cup of tea on a cold winter evening.
- Cherry berries - 1 kg.
- Sugar - 1 kg 100 grams.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the fruits and rid them of the kernels.
- Pour sugar and let stand for 2 hours.
- Stir and boil on low heat for 10 minutes from the moment of boiling. Leave to infuse for 12 hours.
- Once again put on fire and simmer for 5 minutes from the boiling point. Leave to infuse for 12 hours.
- Place on fire and boil until jam thickens.
- Transfer to sterile jars, cover and keep warm.
Bright, delicious, beautiful cherry berry jam will please the eyes, lift your spirits and give real pleasure.
- 800 g sugar.
- 1 kg of cherries.
Method of preparation:
- Rinse the berries and remove the seeds. Then put on the fire and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Bring the cooled product to a homogeneous state with a blender and fill with sugar. Then boil again until the latter completely dissolves.
- Then cool and repeat the procedure, boiling the product for 20 minutes.
- Repeat the manipulation again, making sure that the jam does not stick. Bring to the desired consistency and place in jars.
Delicious, and most importantly, surprisingly useful cherry juice can be made at home without much effort.
Method of preparation:
- The number of ingredients depends on the cook's taste preferences, as well as the volume he wants to get. So, berries to pick, remove pips and puree with a blender.
- The resulting mass is placed in a container for cooking and add water, based on your preferences.
- Next, bring to a boil and pour in granulated sugar, also guided by your taste preferences.
- Pour the finished product into bottles and seal with lids.
Wine drink made from cherry fruit has an interesting combination of flavor notes, a pleasant smell and rich color.
- Cherry fruit with a bone - 6 liters.
- Drinking water - 10 liters.
- Sugar powder - 4 kg.
Method of preparation:
- Peel the berries, but do not wash.
- Transfer the fruit to a container with a lid and knead by hand.
- Add water and granulated sugar and stir.
- Place it in the heat and keep it away from light. The fermentation temperature should not exceed 22°C.
- Stir the product constantly for 5 days as foam will form.
- After the foam stops to appear, allow to stand for a while, and then collect the cherry fruit on the surface with a skimmer. At the same time they should squeeze a little.
- Then cover again with a lid and leave for 5 or 7 days.
- Then pour the wine into a bottle with a rubber hose.
- Close with lids, not completely tight, and leave for 12 days. Sunlight is also forbidden and the temperature should not rise above 12 degrees.
- Then the fermentation process takes place, which is characterized by the appearance of foam.
- Every 10 or 12 days, pour the wine into new clean jars until the fermentation stops.
- After that, screw the vessel or bottles with tight lids and store in a cool place.
Many children and adults love this product since childhood. It is not only tasty, but also useful.
- 400 g of cherries.
- 1.7 liters of water.
- 6 tbsp of starch.
Sugar based on taste preference.
Method of preparation:
- Wash the berries and remove the kernels. Add water and boil until boiling.
- Add the sugar and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Dissolve the starch in water (half a cup) and pour a thin stream into the kissel. At the same time, the product should be stirred vigorously.
- Next, bring the kissel to the appearance of the first bubbles and turn off the fire.
Useful dessert does not leave anyone indifferent who tries it.
- 1 kg of cherries.
- 200 g of honey.
- Cherry puree boil until the mass thickens and combine with honey.
- Then place the product in a thin layer on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Put it in the oven for 5 hours at a temperature of 80 degrees. The oven door all this time should be ajar.
You can also dry the product in the sun or in an electric dryer.
How to quickly remove pips from a cherry
Everyone loves ripe cherries, but sometimes you do not want to bother with the bones. There are ways to get rid of these small obstacles. Of course, these are special devices: mechanical, electric, as well as improvised means.
- Mechanical devices can remove pips from several fruits in one step, which significantly reduces the time.
- Electric devices do not require additional human presence and handle everything themselves. Also not a bad option when there is not much time.
- But if there is no special device in the household, then a bottle with a narrow neck, on which the fruit is set and pierced with a wooden Chinese chopstick, for example, comes in handy. The pit lands in the bottle and the berry goes into your mouth!
Can I Give Cherries to Animals
Cherry fruit is useful not only for people, but also for animals. For example, pets may well eat berries, but only without pips, as the latter will harm a four-legged friend. The number of berries should not exceed eight for large breeds. However, berries should not be eaten every day.
Cats will also benefit from eating one or two cherries without kernels.
Interesting facts about cherries
- Cherries are in the same family as plums.
- Cherry fruits are referred to as stone fruits, not berries.
- Japanese sakura is exactly a cherry tree, but with inedible fruit.
- On the territory of England grows a cherry tree, the height of which reaches 10 meters, and its age is more than 150 years.
Thus, the cherry tree is a sweet fruit, heated by the sun and absorbed all the useful gifts of nature.
«Important: All information on this site is provided solely for introductory for informational purposes only. Before applying any recommendations, please consult with a specialist. specialist before applying any recommendations. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be held liable for any possible harm caused by materials."