Golden turmeric milk: useful properties and contraindications
More recently, turmeric was considered an exotic product, but today this spice is in almost every kitchen of the residents of the CIS countries. It is added to meat and salads, pastries and drinks. Very popular in recent years is a healing cocktail called "golden milk". Indeed, the color of milk, supplemented with a portion of spice powder, resembles a noble metal. But this is not the only reason they call the drink "golden. A century ago, turmeric was so expensive that only the very rich could afford it. For many centuries, the Indian spice was presented as gifts to heads of state.
- What is turmeric golden milk
- Composition and Calories
- Milk Composition
- Turmeric Composition
- Calorie content of the golden drink
- What is the usefulness of golden turmeric milk
- General Benefits
- For Women
- For Men
- For children
- When losing weight
- Usage in folk medicine
- Cough and sore throat
- Insomnia remedy.
- For chronic cough
- For general cleansing
- For chronic pain
- For the prevention of atherosclerosis
- For gynecological diseases
- Milk with turmeric in cosmetology
- Milk bath
- Rejuvenating Mask
- Mask for strengthening and hair growth
- Breast compress
- Health Hazards and Contraindications
- How to make golden milk
- Milk with butter and turmeric
- Beverage with coconut milk and spices
- Fresh Root Beverage
- Golden Cinnamon Beverage
- Milkshake with peppers
- Ancient Indian recipe
- How to drink turmeric milk correctly
- How much can I drink per day?
- Can I drink it on an empty stomach and at night?
Although the recipe for the preparation of the wonderful drink was known in ancient times, it was taken for the treatment and maintenance of strength only by the upper class. Fortunately, times have changed, and now everyone who wants to improve their health can drink it. You can make a cocktail in a few minutes using one of the recipes that will be described below. But first it is worth taking a closer look at the famous duo to understand how this simple remedy manages to cure and delight with its exquisite taste at the same time.
What is turmeric golden milk
Milk and turmeric cocktail is unique not only because it is easy to make, but also because of its ability to have a positive effect on almost all organs and systems of the human body. In ancient India, the recipe was kept secret from foreigners, but the enterprising Europeans managed to uncover this secret after all.
Today, golden milk is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine and nutrition. The principle of its preparation is to fully activate the healthful components of the spice. For this purpose, milk is heated and then turmeric powder is added. In this case, both ingredients immediately begin to interact, and the solution takes on a pleasant golden hue. To achieve the healing effect, it is recommended to drink the milk-spice cocktail immediately after preparation. In addition to turmeric, other spices are often added to the drink: pepper, ginger, cinnamon. Golden milk has a simultaneous effect in different directions:
- strengthens the immune resource;
- nourishes body tissues;
- stimulates biochemical processes;
- has a therapeutic and preventive effect.
Of course, such useful potential, which is concentrated in one glass of drink, interested scientists. After numerous studies, they confirmed that milk combined with turmeric really does have healing powers.
An interesting fact: although today there are many recipes for making golden milk, the ancient recipe has not undergone major changes. That is, it has been preserved almost in its original form until today.
Composition and calories
Since golden milk is a combination of two main components, it is necessary to dwell separately on the composition of each of them.
Composition of milk
Different milk is used to prepare the spicy milkshake:
- cow's milk;
- vegetable (coconut, soy, almond).
It is clear that animal milk and plant milk will have different compositions. Even if we take whole cow's milk as a basis, its chemical composition will also be variable, because it depends on the following factors:
- The age of the animal;
- feeding conditions;
- the degree of productivity.
But most often the Indian drink is prepared on cow's milk, which has more than 200 components. Therefore, it is possible to distinguish separate groups of substances:
- Vitamins - this is almost the entire group B, ascorbic and folic acid, vitamin D.
- Mineral elements: sulfur, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, magnesium and other substances from this group.
- Organic acids.
- Milk fat.
- Non-protein nitrogen-containing compounds.
- Choline and several dozen other individual substances and complex organic and inorganic compounds.
But most animal milk (almost 90%) is water, which is the medium for dissolving all of the above components. It is clear that plant milk will have a different composition.
Composition of turmeric
The spicy powder is obtained from the roots of an herbaceous perennial from the Ginger family, which also goes by the name - turmeric. The technology of processing plant material has not changed much over the centuries, so much of the spice production process is done by hand. This explains the high cost of the spice. But such a complex scheme of production allows the plant roots after processing and drying preserve their entire valuable composition. The chemical formula of turmeric also has several dozen individual components, including:
- Vitamin D, group B, ascorbic acid, tocopherol.
- Mineral elements: a lot of magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus and calcium are present.
- Essential oils.
- Organic acids.
But this whole diverse set of substances is headed by curcumin, the main active ingredient of the Indian spice. It is curcumin that forms the medicinal properties of the spicy product, as it has a very broad spectrum of action.
Caloric value of the golden drink
Depending on the variety of milk product, the caloric value will be different. For example, the energy content of a smoothie on whole cow's milk is about 140 kcal (100 ml), while the drink, cooked on goat milk, this indicator will be higher. However, coconut milk also has a high caloric value.
Important: the indicator of energy content matters especially in cases where golden milk is drunk for the sake of weight loss. Therefore, it should always be taken into account.
How golden turmeric milk is beneficial
Description of the useful properties of the milk drink with the addition of turmeric should begin with the fact that two products with a rich composition, combined in one glass, act on the body with double force. If you drink golden milk regularly, you can expect the following positive effects:
- increasing the stamina of the body;
- Strengthening of the immune system;
- improved digestion;
- normalize blood pressure;
- stabilization of blood composition;
- improvement of cardiac activity;
- strengthening of bone tissues and joints;
- cleansing the liver and tissues of toxic products;
- solving sleep problems;
- Improving the nervous system;
- smooth weight loss;
- normalization of hormonal background.
Golden milk is considered an excellent prophylactic against cancer pathologies and Alzheimer's disease. The drink saturates tissues with nutrients, rejuvenates the body and improves the condition of the skin, nails and hair. It is effective for depression and stress.
It is recommended by physicians to patients who are weakened after a serious illness or in the postoperative period to drink golden milk to restore strength and performance. Very often, folk healers advise to drink golden milk to alleviate respiratory infections and the flu. The healing drink has a positive effect on the reproductive system of both men and women.
The complex of beneficial effects of the drink, the preparation of which takes no more than 5 minutes, is impressive. Therefore, very often milk with turmeric is used as an additional treatment to the main therapy. Now let's consider what effect the Indian drink has on representatives of different sexes, children and thinning persons.
Representatives of the fair sex have long appreciated the magnificent properties of the golden drink. It is no accident that the first beauties in ancient times used this miraculous elixir to prolong youth and beauty.
As a cosmetic, milk with turmeric:
- makes the skin smooth;
- removes fine lines and wrinkles;
- prevents premature aging;
- stimulates the synthesis of collagen, which increases the firmness and elasticity of the skin;
- Strengthens nails and hair.
As a medicinal remedy, the golden drink is useful to women in the following ways:
- It helps in the treatment of inflammatory processes of the urogenital system.
- Prevents the development of cancer.
- Reduces pain and the severity of other unpleasant symptoms before menstruation.
- Relieves the condition during menopause.
- Normalizes hormonal background.
- Enhances libido.
- Relieves fatigue and irritability.
If you drink just 100 ml of golden milk daily, you can solve the problem of insomnia in the short term and normalize the psycho-emotional state.
The Indian spice drink is no less useful for men's health. If you regularly drink the healing cocktail, after a short time you can observe the following positive effects:
- improvement of erection;
- increase in libido;
- normalization of sleep;
- Strengthening the health of the reproductive system;
- increase spermatogenesis.
In addition to these actions, golden milk increases physical stamina and performance of men. It is no coincidence that athletes necessarily include in their diet a healthy drink that helps them recover quickly after training. This excellent natural remedy prevents the development of adenoma and prostatitis.
Despite the great benefits of milk with turmeric, it is contraindicated to drink such drinks during pregnancy. After all, all spices, including turmeric, increase blood flow, and this can threaten the normal course of pregnancy. Therefore, future mothers should abandon the intention to drink such a drink.
Since the baby with the mother's milk gets everything she needs for proper growth and development, a woman's food during the breastfeeding period should not contain products that are dangerous for the baby. Spices do not belong to this category. On the contrary, they can have a negative impact on the baby's body and even cause painful conditions.
Because of the risk of developing allergic manifestations, babies under two years of age should not be given golden milk. But older children, if there are no contraindications, it is possible with a preventive purpose and for the treatment to give to drink the spicy drink in small quantities. Of course, such a product can not be a permanent component of children's food, because when abused, unwanted side effects such as bloating and diarrhea can develop.
Tip: so as not to harm the child's health, it is better to consult a pediatrician about it.
When losing weight
Golden milk has already proven its effectiveness in weight loss. The drink has a high ability to burn fat, removes excess fluid from tissues, which as a result provides a smooth weight loss without damage to the body. Particularly effective composition works:
- turmeric - 1/2 tsp;
- Milk (can be replaced with kefir) - 1 cup;
- honey - 1 tbsp;
- Cinnamon - on the tip of a knife.
Sequence of preparation:
- Boil turmeric with boiling water.
- The resulting mass mixed with milk products.
- Slightly warm honey, introduce to the main composition.
- Finally, add the cinnamon.
This fat-burning cocktail should be drunk before going to bed for two weeks. Then make the same break and resume taking the drink again. If you follow this scheme, you will lose 5-8 kg every week.
Traditional medicinal uses
Indian golden milk has been immensely popular since ancient times in Ayuverdic practice and folk medicine. It is believed that the milkshake with turmeric is able to enhance as well as bring in a stable state of energy flows. Therefore, such a remedy should be necessarily drunk by people who have weak energy flows. Regular use of the healing elixir normalizes sleep, gives the body vitality. We offer a few simple recipes for the preparation of a golden drink for the treatment of some painful conditions.
With a cough and sore throat
First you need to prepare a gold paste. To do this, you will need:
- turmeric powder - 60 g;
- water - 1 cup;
- vegetable oil (linseed, olive) - a little;
- ground black pepper - 1,5 tsp.
Pepper is not a necessary component, but it warms up well when you have a cold.
How to cook:
- Pour water into a saucepan, immediately add turmeric.
- With constant stirring, cook the mixture for 7-10 minutes.
- When the mixture becomes thick, turn off the heat.
- Add oil and pepper to the slightly cooled mixture.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Ready gold paste put in a glass jar with an airtight lid. In such a container, the product can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Cooked according to this popular recipe is enough for a course of treatment. It is allowed to store paste with turmeric in the freezer.
To prepare a golden drink for the treatment of sore throat and cough, you need to take only 1 tsp of the paste and dissolve it in warm milk (100 ml). For a better therapeutic effect, it is recommended to add the same portion of ginger. It is better to drink the preparation at night.
Remedy for insomnia
To normalize falling asleep, you need to boil a glass of milk, and when it cools a little, add 1/2 tsp. Drink the fully cooked volume of the drink about an hour before a night's rest.
For a chronic cough
In this case, the drink is prepared just before consumption. In a glass of milk at once pour 1 tsp. sugar, as well as ginger and turmeric - a small pinch of each spice. After this, put the mixture on low heat and warm it slightly, so that the substances are activated. Drink the cocktail in small sips. The course of treatment is 10-14 days. This recipe will help with chronic bronchitis, as well as get rid of coughs of inveterate smokers.
For a general body purification
It is known that our body periodically needs a cleanse. There are many different methods, but the way of cleansing with the golden milk is considered to be the simplest and the most effective. It is necessary to drink milk with turmeric and honey (1 tsp) for several days in a row. The cleansing process will occur naturally.
For chronic pains
Those who have problems with joints or are constantly tormented by muscle pain should definitely drink a milkshake with turmeric and honey. The course of treatment is long - from 1 month or more, depending on how you feel.
For the prevention of atherosclerosis
To avoid the formation of plaques in the vessels, you need a course of taking a drink prepared from the following ingredients:
- milk - 250 ml;
- garlic - 1 clove;
- Golden paste - 1 tsp.
Heat milk a little, dissolve the paste in it and add grated garlic. Drink the cocktail warm, small sips.
When gynecological diseases
For the treatment of inflammatory processes of the genitourinary tract in women, the healing drink is prepared according to the standard scheme. You can use a paste of turmeric or powder. But to achieve a therapeutic effect, it is necessary to complement the composition with a pinch of red hot pepper (ground). The standard course of treatment is one month, but if necessary, the therapy can be repeated after a two-week break.
Milk with turmeric in cosmetology
The ability of turmeric to rejuvenate tissues and inhibit the aging process is widely used since ancient times in home cosmetology. In combination with milk, this golden spice works real wonders in transforming the appearance. And the effect is seen after the first sessions of any of the procedures described below.
According to legend, this ancient recipe was used by Queen Cleopatra herself. After a milk bath with turmeric the skin becomes soft and silky, and microcracks and signs of peeling disappear without a trace. Since turmeric is a natural coloring agent, after the procedure the skin takes on a light golden hue.
Sequence of procedure:
- Pour hot water into a bathtub.
- Pour 3 liters of warm milk.
- Add 10 grams of turmeric.
- The session should last 15-20 minutes.
- After the procedure be sure to rinse the body with warm water.
In addition to the cosmetic effect, baths with milk and turmeric are soothing and relaxing. Therefore, it is better to do them before going to bed.
If you perform the procedure once a week according to this recipe, the face will turn young for a few years. In addition to the rejuvenating effect, this mask also cleanses the skin well, removing keratinized cells from its surface.
Sequence of execution:
- Fill a glass by 1/4 with milk.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of crushed oat flakes.
- When the flakes have swollen, add a pinch of turmeric and 1 tsp. honey.
- Mix well and immediately apply an even layer to the face.
- Lie down while the mask works, removing wrinkles and smoothing the tone of the face.
- Before removing the rest of the mask, well massage your face, acting on the massage lines.
- Remove the composition with warm water.
Mask for strengthening and hair growth
You can use milk or cream. Only a quarter cup of milk product is needed. In this amount of base dilute a pinch of gold powder, add 1 tsp. of lightly heated honey. Mix the composition well, and then apply to the hair and scalp. After 15 minutes, rinse the mask with warm water.
Important: Blondes should not use this recipe, as turmeric has the ability to color the hair in a not very pleasant yellow color.
This method will help owners of small breasts to slightly increase it. To prepare a compress, take 1 tsp. of milk, turmeric and an oil solution of vitamin E. Warm mixture to apply to the chest, wrap first in clingfilm and then a terry towel. Keep the compress for at least 3-4 hours. For convenience, you can wear a loose bra for a while, which, by the way, will help to firmly fix the compress. After the specified time, just take a warm shower to wash off the rest of the composition.
Useful tip: To make your skin always shine with freshness, it is enough to wipe it in the morning with a tampon moistened with golden milk. This simple procedure, in addition to its direct effect, will help to cleanse the dermis from pimples and acne.
Health hazards and contraindications
Both milk and turmeric are considered the safest products. Therefore, the milkshake is allowed to drink even young children. But there are some contraindications for drinking such a healthy smoothie:
- Individual intolerance to one of the two products;
- period of breastfeeding;
- diabetes mellitus;
- gallbladder and duct stones;
- Period of preparation for surgery and immediately after surgery;
- chronic gastrointestinal processes;
- Age of a child under 2 years old;
- period of exacerbation of any chronic process;
Also, do not combine the use of the golden drink with taking anticoagulants: aspirin, warfarin. In addition, it should be taken into account that turmeric has the ability to reduce blood pressure, and this is dangerous for hypotensive people and undesirable for patients taking hypotensive drugs. Of course, the list of contraindications is quite impressive, but it once again emphasizes how powerful the healing milk cocktail with spicy turmeric has.
How to cook golden milk
There are a huge number of recipes for the preparation of golden milkshake. But the principle of preparing a healing drink in all recipes is the same - it is necessary to achieve the maximum interaction of the two main components. Folk healers, for example, advise to prepare a golden paste, and then already use it as needed for a healthy drink. The classic recipe for making pasta with turmeric is described above, so we won't repeat ourselves, but give a few of the most popular golden milk recipes as examples.
Milk with butter and turmeric
This is the most common option for preparing the elixir of health. If there is a pre-made paste with turmeric, you will need to take 1 tsp each of the paste and almond oil. You can add honey to improve the taste.
How to prepare:
- Dissolve the paste in milk.
- Put the mixture on a low heat, bring to a boil.
- Cool the drink a little and only then add the butter and honey.
You can drink milk with turmeric at any convenient time. In this process, the main thing is regularity. For the overall strengthening of the body, 40 days of supportive therapy is enough.
Drink with coconut milk and spices
This recipe has a more complex composition, but this drink has an amazing taste. Initial ingredients:
- Coconut (pulp) - 2-3 tbsp;
- grated ginger - 50 g;
- water - 250 ml;
- turmeric, cardamom, black pepper - a pinch of each spice;
- honey - 1-2 tsp.
When all the ingredients are on the table, you can proceed to the preparation of the magic cocktail.
- Grind the pulp of the coconut and pour water over it for 20 minutes.
- Then beat it with a blender.
- Strain the mass through a sieve.
- Coconut milk to put on fire.
- Pour the spices, boil for 10 minutes.
- When it cools down a bit, add honey.
Fresh Root Beverage
Of course, to get fresh spicy root is not an easy task, but if you are lucky, you should definitely use the following recipe:
- Grate a small piece of root (2-2.5 cm), place it in a glass of milk.
- Put it on the fire and bring it to a boil.
- Strain the drink when it cools, add honey to improve the taste.
Golden drink with cinnamon
This option for morning use. A fragrant milkshake with cinnamon and turmeric will energize you for the day, improve your mood, and normalize the digestive tract. Preparing this cocktail is a pleasure, because the entire process takes no more than 5 minutes.
- The first thing to do is to boil the milk. It is better to take a product with minimal fat content, because fat milk can cause diarrhea.
- When the milk base cools a little, add 0.5 tsp. of turmeric and the same amount of cinnamon. The spices should be in powder form.
- Stir the mixture well, you can add sugar or honey.
Golden milk with cinnamon should be drunk immediately after making it.
Milkshake with Pepper
Pepper not only gives the drink a spicy taste, it increases blood flow and promotes better absorption of turmeric by the body. The fact is that ground black pepper contains a substance piperine, which increases the absorption of the golden spice by the body by 20 times. Therefore, it is always useful to include a small portion of pepper in the drink.
And now directly a recipe for a milkshake with turmeric and pepper. As in the previous cases, you can take the golden paste, if it is in stock. If there is no such arsenal, then the list of ingredients is as follows:
- milk - 200 ml;
- ginger and turmeric - 1 tsp;
- pepper - on the tip of a knife.
- In a small saucepan pour the milk.
- Put it on the fire, pour all the spices.
- When the mixture begins to boil, turn down the heat and simmer the milk for another 10 minutes.
- When it begins to emit a pleasant spicy flavor, take the drink off the stove.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve before drinking.
An old Indian recipe
This method of making golden milk has been used by Indians for centuries, but even today it is among the most popular recipes. Prepared in a couple of minutes, the milk can be drunk at the first signs of a cold or taken as a general restorative.
- fresh ginger - 2-3 slices;
- water - 50-60 ml;
- turmeric (powder) - 1/2 tsp;
- honey or sugar - to taste;
- saffron - a pinch;
- milk - 1 cup;
- cardamom - a few pods.
Although the list of ingredients is long, but the drink is prepared very quickly.
- First, finely grate the ginger.
- Then, dilute turmeric in water, add grated ginger root, cardamom pods, and mix everything well.
- Add the right amount of milk.
- You should put on a low fire the pot with the received composition.
- When the milk begins to rise, turn off the fire.
- The mixture should infuse for a little while.
- Then again put the container on the stove and heat the composition for 5-7 minutes, but do not allow it to boil.
- When the drink cools, strain it, add honey and the remaining component, i.e. saffron.
Immediately after cooking, you need to drink the prepared composition completely.
Useful tips: with a cold, it is better to drink the golden milk prepared according to this recipe before going to bed. The next morning, all the symptoms of the disease will disappear without a trace, and your general well-being will improve significantly.
There are many more interesting recipes for making golden milk. Therefore, it will not be difficult to choose the best option for a particular problem. But with any choice, it is necessary to clearly observe the sequence of preparation and adhere to the recommended proportions.
How to drink milk with turmeric correctly
Scientific studies have proven that golden milk is a unique product with powerful healing properties. Even physicians acknowledge this fact, and many strongly recommend their patients at the first signs of a cold or other health problems to drink this useful drink. And here comes the time to ask the question: how to drink golden milk, so that it really showed all its beneficial properties. A few recommendations will help you figure this out:
- Regardless of whether you drink milk with turmeric for therapeutic or preventive purposes, you need to start with a minimum portion. If preparing a paste drink, the initial dose is no more than 1/4 tsp. This dose can be gradually increased to a whole spoonful.
- It is recommended to drink the golden drink once a day: you can drink it in the morning or before going to bed.
- If the golden milk is taken for treatment, you must be sure to endure a full course. It can be 30 or 40 days or twice a year. It all depends on the individual characteristics of the person and the nature of the disease.
- To prevent colds, usually take the cocktail twice a year for two weeks. If you could not avoid the disease, then the golden milk should be drunk in the acute period to alleviate the condition, that is, in the first days.
- Before proceeding with the treatment, it is worth reading the list of contraindications.
How much you can drink per day
Of course, for each person there is a different norm of consumption of any product. But you should not forget that golden milk contains in its composition many active additives, which, if the norm is exceeded, can have a side effect. Therefore, it is allowed to drink a total of no more than a full glass of golden drink per day. But you can divide the daily portion into two doses, if you want to please yourself with a wonderful taste of a healthy drink.
Start a preventive or therapeutic course is best with 1/4 cup, a week reception bring the volume up to 1/2. By the end of the second week, you will have a full glass of turmeric milk drink.
If the product is well tolerated, it is allowed to start with a whole glass at once.
We would like to remind you once again that you should not abuse the golden milk, because such frivolity can lead to the following side effects:
- Increased cholesterol in the blood;
- brittle nails and even complete nail loss;
- low blood sugar;
- a sharp drop in blood pressure.
To this you can add deterioration of general well-being, weakness, dizziness. Curcuma is a very strong spice, so you need to treat it very carefully, so that it will bring real health benefits.
Can you drink it on an empty stomach and at night
Most formulas recommend drinking golden milk before bedtime. The drink is good for relaxing, relieving stress and anxiety. If you drink it regularly before going to bed, you can quickly cope even with chronic insomnia. Many people have been helped by this drink to cope with problems related to sleep. Another reason in favor of taking it in the evening is that during the night's rest all the useful substances will be better absorbed, because the body will not be busy with any other work.
For fast falling asleep, it is recommended to drink warm golden milk with a small portion of honey.
Regarding when it is better to drink the cocktail: after a meal or on an empty stomach, the answer is unambiguous - golden milk is drunk on an empty stomach. By the way, a cup of the drink may well replace breakfast or dinner, especially when it comes to weight loss.
And one more important note: turmeric can be added not only to milk, but also to kefir, ryazhenka or yogurt. The main thing to remember is that the spice is poorly absorbed in a nonfat environment, and in a fatty beverage, it will show its healing abilities to the maximum.
Concluding this review, I would like to advise you to prepare golden paste at home, and then make a drink from it according to any of the recipes suggested here. Such a rational solution will help to save time.
Curcuma is an amazing spice with a centuries-old history. In a duet with milk, its healing power increases several times. The golden drink saved people in ancient times from terrible diseases, gave them youth and beauty. And today a useful spicy cocktail is ready to serve the man. It remains only to learn how to prepare this elixir of healthy longevity correctly. We have tried to collect the best recipes that can be quickly prepared in the home kitchen. Golden milk with turmeric is a truly amazing drink that can bring health benefits to the whole family.
«Important: All information on this site is provided for informational purposes only purposes. Before applying any recommendations, consult a health care professional. specialist. Neither the editors nor the authors shall be held liable for any possible harm caused by materials."